Advanced Programs Counselor, Justin Voss, works with students in our Advanced Science and Engineering Program, our International Business Program, as well as students doing the International Baccalaureate Program. He helps them out with their academic needs as well as their college search. Before coming to Fairmont, he worked for eight years in college admission, traveling across the country talking to students about how wonderful the colleges were. A major part of his job was to attend college fairs, so he has spent a lot of time in school gyms standing behind a desk answering questions. He loved being able to speak about his schools, share interesting information, and offer advice to students. That’s why we’ve asked him to share his thoughts about our upcoming college fair.
One of the great things about Fairmont Prep is the number of resources our students have in the classroom, through activities, and, of course, with the counselors. This year, we are on track to have over 140 colleges and universities visit us for day visits. Additionally, we host our own College Fair on Tuesday, October 9, at 6:00 pm in our gym. Last year, we had 140 colleges and universities attend our college fair – it is an amazing opportunity to learn more about some of your favorite schools and other incredible schools out there. We’ve had colleges from all across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Australia, Germany, Spain, and more attend the fair. Where else are you going to be able to see that kind of diversity under one roof? This event is great for all grades of students in high school and even junior high to understand what is really out there!
So why should you attend Fairmont Prep’s college fair? Well, I’ve got a few reasons:
- Travel the world of higher education without leaving a basketball floor.
- Meet the person who will most likely be reading your application.
- Get tips and hints about your application.
- Learn more about the specific academic programs that may interest you.
- Come home with a bag of stuff!
- Get recommendations about other schools.
- Understand the admission and financial aid processes even more.
- Learn about what you can do in high school to make yourself a compelling candidate.
We can’t wait to see you at the College Fair, so mark your calendar and RSVP today!